Fashion careers: finding the right fit for you
Are you aware about the current fashion trends? Do you have an eye for style? Do you have the drive and desire to turn your passion into a profitable and rewarding career? Explore all the different career options in fashion design production, fashion marketing and advertising, fashion media and productions and more. A career in the fashion industry may be the right path for you!
Many are attracted to pursue a career in the fashion industry due to the glamour & lucrative income opportunities. Besides that, the idea that you can succeed on your own, motivates aspirants even more. As a matter of fact, majority of professional fashion designers are self-employed.
In general, fashion designer professionals have innate artistic and creative qualities. They use their creative gifts and artistic talents to create unique design concepts for various fashion applications. Today, fashion designer professionals are in demand in a variety of Industries. Since there is a constant demand for fashion designers specializing in a particular field, most of the aspirants focus their talent in one specialized fashion area like home textiles, visual merchandising, apparel designing, costume designing for TV, film and theater productions; personal stylist positions with high-end department stores and private clients, and modeling. They work for everything from newspaper ads to strutting the catwalk and many more .The lesser known areas such as Medical textiles, Industrial textile, Textiles in Automobile industry, Geo textiles, Sports textile, pack tech etc. also have a vast potential for careers in Textiles.
These are just a list of options to choose from but the main and most important question is -Do you have the aptitude and the skill set required for the career you are so passionate about? Which one is best suited for you? So you need to checkout whether your passion matches the skills that you possess both soft skills &hard skills.
Soft skills apply to every job. They are your people skills – interpersonal skills, communication skills and other qualities that enable you to be successful in the workplace. Soft skills are related to one’s personality.
Hard skills are any skills relating to a specific task or situation. These skills are easily quantifiable .They are qualifications required to do the job. For example, computer skills, administrative skills or customer service skills etc.
For coming to the right decision you need to answer certain questions and if your answer is positive then that’s the perfect career for you. So let’s check it out
Are you ……………
- Effective communicator with Good inter-personnel skills ,
- Ability to work in Team Spirit
- Good Co-ordinator
- Can develop Good rapport with people at all levels
- Ability to work with responsibilities
- Have Technical knowledge of sampling of garments
- Can Manage time efficiently
- Basic computer knowledge then………….merchandising is the field for you. You can
Work as Retail merchandiser or Export merchandiser
If you are also……………
- Fashion conscious
- Enjoy styling
- Follow fashion trends & Influential……then being a Fashion merchandiser is the right option for you
Do you have………..
- Superb visual and spatial skills
- Above average drawing and sketching abilities
- Strong artistic creative and imaginative skills
- Exceptional sense of style and colour
- Ability to work in changing environments
- Basic knowledge of computer graphics
- Promotional skills
These are the desirable skills for being a ……… Visual Merchandiser
If you can ………….
- Conceptualize, create, and promote new clothing and accessory designs
- Keep informed about current and forecasted fashion trends,
- Understand fabrics, create patterns and samples,
- Market new designs
Then being a…………Fashion Designer or Product designer can be the right choice
Some more career options and their job requirements are
- Work with buyers and salespeople to coordinate the different
- departments of a retail store or chain to ensure that all
- departments and stores offer a consistent fashion look
- Use research skills, fashion industry experience, and intuition
- Predict which fashions will be popular for the next season
- Gather and analyze information
- Develop ways to communicate
- Display fashion predictions.
- Create technically precise sketches of a fashion designer’s ideas
- Used for patternmaking, presentations
- Requires training in art and computer applications
- Use artistic, color, and technical skills to design new fabrics or
- Modify the designs of previous fabrics.
- May specialize in area print fabrics, woven fabrics, and knits
- Work for newspapers, magazines, and advertising agencies in preparing fashion- related articles, books, advertisements, press kits, and catalogs
Store/ Boutique Manager
- Manage sales employees
- Maintain sales, inventory and manage personnel issues
Image/ Fashion Consultant
- Educate individuals, groups, or corporate about fashions and accessories.
- Help people make fashion choices that reflect their -Lifestyles, personalities, and needs
Based on your temperament, aptitude & skill set you can choose which part of this Industry suits you the best. Here are some things to do which will make your decision making process easy. Read industry publications, Know the top players in the industry. Read all the magazines and blogs. Your shopping experience can be a learning experience too. Observe how online retailers market and sell things. Maybe something will inspire you. Now go get yourself a career.
|Mrs. Anju Tulshyan
Mobile: 93247 54028